Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Christmas is coming, act normal

It's the time of year again, where no matter how many people complain, Christmas decorations are appearing in the shelves of supermarkets. All over the country there is uproar, and secret purchasing, of such items being visible to the general public.

This is the usual point where an opinionist such as myself will lament over the lost meaning of Christmas, and some friends will unknowingly complain the Christmas isn't the only time you should be nice to people for a change.

My first ever job was in a supermarket in Rotherham. It had all the joys of tithing manure. I was asked to work Christmas eve, despite the fact I was making more money per hour busking in a four piece, than I would that day on the tills.

And yet, good will seemed to have been injected into a black man who came running round the shop handing out fivers to anyone who helped him.

It was a mighty strange experience.

Britain seems to be pretty hostile towards the traditions it has had. I wonder what would happen to the common man of his Christmas holidays were taken away from him?

Convert to Islam, probably.

No comments: